Posted June 21, 2018 in Academic Probation / Dismissal, Exploring Majors & Careers, Grading
Have you reviewed your final grades? Have you also looked at the grades in Acceptance Criteria courses for your major? Are you at or above baseline threshold?
If no, you should schedule an appointment with an academic advisor as soon as possible.
You can find your assigned Academic Advising Office located in the Advisor Box on your HUB Student Center. You can also look up your advising office by the using the Undergraduate Advising Directory.
Posted April 27, 2018 in Exploring Majors & Careers, Grading
Many of our currents students will have already registered for Fall Semester classes. However that does not mean that there will not be points in the upcoming months in which a student might have to revisit and access their academic plan. Here are some scenarios in which a student initiate future discussions with an academic advisor:
- Final Grades for this semester should be posted by the end of May or early June. If a student’s Acceptance Criteria gpa (grades earned in Prerequisite courses) is below that major’s Acceptance Criteria baseline, it may be time to consider a different academic path.
- Repeat prerequisite courses over the summer. In some cases a student’s Acceptance Criteria GPA is below the required level, but close enough that repeating a prerequisite course might make sense.
- Student decides to switch to a new major and wants to know how to be accepted into that program, and also get a sense of how long it will take to complete.
- A student might also have completed a course whose initial purpose was to satisfy a UB Curriculum requirement, but now find that they want to take another course in that area. Should they consider a minor in that subject. A minor typically requires at least 18 credit hours (six courses).
Do you know where to go speak with an academic advisor? In your HUB Student Center, you will see an Advisor box on the right hand side of the page. In that box you will see the Advising Office that you are currently assigned to, and their address and phone number. You can also find contact information for Advising Offices using the Undergraduate Advising Directory.
Posted March 28, 2018 in Exploring Majors & Careers
If you’re deciding on a major or wondering how your major will connect to a career, don’t miss this skillshop. You’ll learn about tools and strategies to help you choose a major Plus learn about the many career possibilities related to your major.
Register by joining the What can I do with a major in…? event in Bullseye powered by Handshake.
Date: Thursday, March 29, 2018
Location: Student Union (SU) – Room 330
Sponsored by: Career Services
Posted March 5, 2018 in Did You Know?, Exploring Majors & Careers
Introducing the Exploratory and Pre-Professional Advising Center.
Beginning March 5, 2018, Student Advising Services will be known as the Exploratory and Pre-Professional Advising Center. This name change is an exciting opportunity for us to communicate our role in guiding students through major academic decisions and to align with nationwide best practices surrounding student advising.
While we have a new name, you can still expect the same level of service and expertise you’ve always received from the dedicated home of advising and support for students exploring majors and those seeking professional careers in health care fields and law. Our commitment to our students and the UB community remains our highest priority, and we look forward to serving them under our new name.
Exploratory and Pre-Professional Advising Center (EPAC)
Location: 109 Norton Hall, North Campus, University at Buffalo
Posted February 16, 2018 in Exploring Majors & Careers
Spring 2018 Information Sessions for students interested in the major of Business Administration.
Information Sessions for Management Majors
Hosted by Christina Sakowski, Admissions and New Student Enrollment Advisors in the School of Management, these sessions will provide an overview of:
- the admissions criteria for acceptance into the accounting or business administration majors, and
- a general overview of the upper-level program requirements, as well as
- the many student resources and services offered to approved majors in our programs.
The location for all sessions is 205 Alfiero Center.
- Monday, 3/5 at 10:30-11:30 am
- Tuesday, 3/6 at 11-Noon
- Wednesday, 3/7 at 1:30-2:30 pm
- Monday, 3/12 at 10-11 am
- Wednesday, 3/14 at 1:30-2:30 pm
- Thursday, 3/15 at 9-10 am
- Tuesday, 3/27 at 11-Noon
- Wednesday, 3/28 11-Noon
- Thursday, 3/29 10-11 am
Have you Registered to Attend an Information Session?
Students interested in attending one of these information session are asked to register at School of Management Events Calendar and search using the Keywords: “Management Major Information Session”.
Posted February 12, 2018 in Exploring Majors & Careers
Information Session to learn more about Health and Human Services concentrations
Are you interested in one or more of the SSC Health and Human Services concentrations: Community Mental Health, Early Childhood, or Social Gerontology?
CAS Student Advisement and Services will be hosting a number of Social Sciences Interdisciplinary Programs Health and Human Services concentration information sessions during the spring 2018 term. If your students (especially freshman and sophomores) should express an interest in the HHS major please encourage them to attend one of the following sessions:
- February 12, 2018 3:00 pm to 3:50 pm
- February 19, 2018 3:00 pm to 3:50 pm
- March 6, 2018 2:00 pm to 2:50 pm
- March 13, 2018 2:00 pm to 2:50 pm
- April 2, 2018 3:00 pm to 3:50 pm
- April 10, 2018 3:30 pm to 4:20 pm
- April 18, 2018 2:00 pm to 2:50 pm
- April 24, 2018 2:30 pm to 3:20 pm
Register for your workshop
Space is limited for each workshop/presentation, so I am asking that you do not send this out over your listservs. Participants are encouraged to pre-register for each workshop/presentations by visiting UB Linked. In order to register for any workshop/presentation; they must have an active UB-Linked Account, and join the College of Arts and Sciences Group/Organization page.
All workshops will take place in the CAS Student Advisement and Services office, 275 Park Hall, North Campus.
Posted February 27, 2017 in Exploring Majors & Careers
Internship Day: Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2017
A whole day designed to explore internships. Get your free LinkedIn photo. Get your resume reviewed, information on internship programs
AND the very next day is the Spring Job + Internship Fair so get on the grind, internships are right around the corner!
9 a.m. – 2 p.m., 2nd Floor – Student Union.
Internship Fair – Wednesday, March 1, 2017
The largest job and internship fair for all majors.
- Date: March 1, 2017
Time: 12 – 5 p.m.
Location: Alumni Arena
- Reserve your spot today. Register on Bullseye powered by Handshake! Office of Career Services