Official Transcript – How to request (current student)

Posted April 22, 2016 in Grading, HUB Tips

Official Transcript Request

Need an Official Transcript to be sent to another school or for a scholarship application? If yes, you can start the process by logging into your HUB Student Center. In the Academic Section, click the Drop-down Arrow and from the list select Transcript: Request Official

You need the Office and Address to where you want the transcript sent.

You will be asked when do you want the transcript sent. If you are currently taking courses, you may want to select the option whereby the Transcript is sent once grades for the current semester have been posted.

We are not permitted to provide transcript services to any current or former student who owes money to the University (tuition/fees, penalties, parking fines, library fines, telephone charges, etc) as designated by the service indicator codes below. Additionally, we cannot release transcripts for students whose names appear on the NYS Student Loan Service Center Loan Default list.

Official transcripts will not be released for students who have university financial obligations, indicated by BAG (No Access to My Account Info), BCA (No Access to My Account Info), BIL (Unpaid Bill), BJD (No Access to My Account Info), BNT (No Access to My Account Info), BPW (No Access to My Account Info), BWO (No Access to My Account Info), DEN (Dental Medicine), FIN (Department Financial Obligation), ILN (Institutional Loan Issue), LAW (Law School), and PAR (Parking Ticket) Service Indicators.

For further information: Office of the Registrar- Transcripts